SciRJ Logo Scientific Research Journal
Menu

Authors
Submit your research
Submission Guidelines
Editorial Board
Review Process
Publication Fee
Scirj Indexing

Publications
Research Journal
Special Issue
Thesis
Monograph

Research Library

RSS & Feeds

Subscribe


Scirj, Volume VIII [2020]
October Issue [In Process]
September Issue
August Issue
July Issue
June Issue
May Issue
Apirl Issue
March Issue
February Issue
January Issue


Scirj, Volume VII [2019]
December Issue
November Issue
October Issue
September Issue
August Issue
July Issue
June Issue
May Issue
April Issue
March Issue
February Issue
January Issue

Scirj Volume VIII, Issue VIII, September 2020 Edition
ISSN: 2201-2796

Present Level of Application of Threshing Machines by Farmers in Nigeria

Isaac Chinedu Ozumba, Olusola Adetola Ogunjirin, Terhemba Iorpev, Olusegun Opeyemi Opadotun, Muideen Yomi Kasali, S. Kang

Abstract: A survey of the present level of application of threshing machines by farmers in Nigeria was conducted in view of scarce information on the subject matter. The survey was tailored to harness baseline information for policy formulation and implementation towards promotion of cereals and legumes production in Nigeria. A structured questionnaire was administered in six states (Akwa-Ibom, Benue, Ebonyi, Kebbi, Ogun and Taraba) from each geopolitical zone of Nigeria to gather the required information. The data obtained was analysed using IBM SPSS statistics version 25 computer package. The result from the analysis showed that 16.0% of the farmers used threshing machines while the remaining percentage (84%) of the farmers applied drums, sticks and other manual threshing techniques in Nigeria. This low level of application of threshing machines was found to be synonymous to the increasing postharvest grain losses, contamination and low productivity which has negative effect on food quality and food security in the nation. Hence, intervention policies with capacity to promote the availability, adoption and application of threshing machines in Nigeria by the three tiers of Nigerian government, international donors and the private sector are recommended to reduce postharvest losses of cereals and legumes to achieve food sufficiency in Nigeria.

Reference this Paper: Present Level of Application of Threshing Machines by Farmers in Nigeria by Isaac Chinedu Ozumba, Olusola Adetola Ogunjirin, Terhemba Iorpev, Olusegun Opeyemi Opadotun, Muideen Yomi Kasali, S. Kang published at: "Scientific Research Journal (Scirj), Volume VIII, Issue VIII, September 2020 Edition, Page 70-72 ".

Search Terms: Application level, Food security, Mechanization, Nigerian farmers, Threshing machine

[Read Research Paper]       [Full Screen]

Ooops! It appears you don't have a PDF plugin for this barrPostingser. you can click here to download the PDF file.









  © 2020 Scientific Research Journal, US . Malaysia . Australia
Scirj is "refereed" or "peer reviewed" international journal.
All rights reserved.